The Gambian Youth Organization (GYO) formed in 2002 by New York City based Gambians as non-profit organization with a vision to harness the rich experiences of first generation immigrants and share these experiences with young and arriving generations with a view to creating responsible, contributing and active members of the community. GYO’s founders took the opportunity to challenge the perception, misconception and stereotypical views and project a Gambian Youths with a moral sense of community belonging.
GYO’s goal is to inspire youth to build on positive change within our communities and bring forward our rich diverse cultural heritage to New York. GYO wants to channel the power harvested from our shared positive experiences with a vision to increase: access to educational resources for the community, access health education and information, organize cultural outreach programs through social events and gatherings and cultivate a sense community partnership.
MISSION STATEMENT : To educate our community to be positive, responsible, tolerant and vibrant members of society through sports, educational and health programs, social events and gathering based on our shared moral and ethical values.
VISION STATEMENT : To endure the challenges of our community; share our collective rich experiences with a view to create an informed, participating and progressive membership whilst taking full advantage of available opportunities and preserving our rich cultural heritage.
- To create and foster mutual understanding and good relationship through communication and information sharing in our community.
- To create social programs such as tutoring, counseling, indoor & outdoor activities to keep the youths off the streets and make them responsible citizens.
- To embrace our African Culture & values and amalgamate them with mainstream American Culture to help us work well in the communities.
- To create conducive atmosphere for youths and adults to share useful information and solve adults and youths related problems.
- To establish an organization where peace, unity and harmony shall prevail as to foster an unconditional love for our people, and humanity as a whole.
- To raises funds to assist needy students and natural disaster victims in the United States and third world countries.
- To provide information and aids for youths and adults with regards to educational issues such as college admission, choice of career, financial aid, adult literacy programs, etc.
- To confront health, immigration, financial, abuses and social issues that affects us in the community and find tangible and intangible solutions solving them.
- To provide financial, moral and emotional support to members of our community gear towards creating a support network.
- To provide members with information on employment, housing,